Following up my earlier response, size_t on Windows x64 is a 32-bit integer
so the test program you used won't use a 64-bit integer.  To obtain 64-bit
integers you can use intmax_t and uintmax_t

I found it easy to add a 64-bit constructor to mpirxx.h (NOT gmpxx.h) and
this program then gives the output '9223372036854775808'

#include <cstdint>
#include <iostream>
#include "mpirxx.h"
using namespace std;

int main(void)
{
    uintmax_t a = 1ull << 63;
    mpz_class b(a);
    cout << b.get_ux() << endl;
    return 0;
}

I have not yet added this to mpirxx.h in the SVN but I can do so if you want
to try it.

It seems like a useful addition - what do others think?