----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Gladman" <b...@gladman.plus.com>
To: <mpir-devel@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [mpir-devel] _Decimal64 support for mpfr

-----Original Message----- From: Sisyphus
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:27 AM
To: mpir
Subject: [mpir-devel] _Decimal64 support for mpfr

Hi,

I can build mpfr-3.1.1 with the mpfr_set_decimal64() and
mpfr_get_decimal64() functions if I base the mpfr build on gmp-5.0.5.

But if I try to base the mpfr build on mpir-2.5.1, configure fails:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -E
checking if compiler knows _Decimal64... yes
checking if _GMP_IEEE_FLOATS is defined... no
configure: error: decimal float support requires _GMP_IEEE_FLOATS

I take it that the gmp component of mpir-2.5.1 needs updating in order to
have access to the two _Decimal64 functions.
Will this _Decimal64 support be available in the next release of mpir ?

Hi Rob,

It is not on our 'to do' list for the next release but my guess is that it would not be hard to add this __IF__ someone volunteers to do it.

   Brian

Thanks Brian.

It's not such a big issue for me .... I just wanted to know if it was on the immediate agenda.

If I need to, I can always access this functionality by using the mpfr that was built against gmp (instead of the mpfr that was built against mpir). There's a performance hit in taking that route for 64-bit builds, as my 64-bit (Mingw) builds of gmp are "generic C" - but for the tasks at hand, this performance hit is of no significance.

I still intend to keep "a foot in both camps" anyway :-)

Cheers,
Rob