So if I check non-versioned files after make distclean when checked
out directly from repo, I just get:

?       tests\fft\Makefile

But if I first do autoreconf -i, then I get

?       tests\fft\Makefile
?       yasm\YASM-VERSION-FILE
?       yasm\YASM-VERSION.h
?       yasm\autom4te.cache
?       autom4te.cache

So it looks like the first is not cleaned up when it should be, which
is a separate issue.

And the last file must be the one responsible for fixing the issue we
are having.

Anyone know what this file is for? Should we just commit it to the repo?

Bill.