On 30/01/2013 19:42, Mj Michaels wrote:
> Hi Brian - Things were going pretty well for me, but I just discovered a
> problem.  I need to be able to serialize an mpz_t value and pass it
> between platforms where the size of limbs is not the same.  For example,
> I need to take a byte stream representing a serialized mpz_t with 64-bit
> words, and read it on win32 into an mpz_t that is 32 bit words.  Am I
> out of luck?  I was hoping that mpz_import() would do the trick, since
> it takes a size value, but this didn't just work.  Should it?  Are there
> any other tricks up your sleeve for this?

Can you say how it failed?

I would be inclined to start with the simplest possible import/export
using bytes:

  mpz_export(buf, *count, 1, 1, 0, 0, mpz)

and:

  mpz_import(mpz, count, 1, 1, 0, 0, buf)

Since it seems that the length of the data (i.e. count) has to be input,
you need to recover this in some way on export so it can be used on import.

Using bytes avoids a lot of issues with byte order and should work.  If
it doesn't, I suspect something is broken.