Here is the relevant part of configure.ac. Who knows what it is supposed to
have there if it isn't correct:

# Now actually check that the C++ compiler works if it is needed.
want_cxx=no
if test $enable_cxx != no; then
  test_CXXFLAGS=${CXXFLAGS+set}

  echo "CXXFLAGS chosen by autoconf: $CXXFLAGS" >&AC_FD_CC
  cxxflags_ac_prog_cxx=$CXXFLAGS
  cxxflags_list=ac_prog_cxx

  # If the user didn't specify $CXXFLAGS, then try $CFLAGS, with -g removed
  # if AC_PROG_CXX thinks that doesn't work.  $CFLAGS stands a good chance
  # of working, eg. on a GNU system where CC=gcc and CXX=g++.
  #
  if test "$test_CXXFLAGS" != set; then
    cxxflags_cflags=$CFLAGS
    cxxflags_list="cflags $cxxflags_list"
    if test "$ac_prog_cxx_g" = no; then
      cxxflags_cflags=`echo "$cxxflags_cflags" | sed -e 's/ -g //' -e
's/^-g //' -e 's/ -g$//'`
    fi
  fi

  # See if the C++ compiler works.  If the user specified CXXFLAGS then all
  # we're doing is checking whether AC_PROG_CXX succeeded, since it doesn't
  # give a fatal error, just leaves CXX set to a default g++.  If on the
  # other hand the user didn't specify CXXFLAGS then we get to try here our
  # $cxxflags_list alternatives.
  #
  # Automake includes $CPPFLAGS in a C++ compile, so we do the same here.
  #
  for cxxflags_choice in $cxxflags_list; do
    eval CXXFLAGS=\"\$cxxflags_$cxxflags_choice\"
    GMP_PROG_CXX_WORKS($CXX $CPPFLAGS $CXXFLAGS,
      [want_cxx=yes
      break])
  done

  # If --enable-cxx=yes but a C++ compiler can't be found, then abort.
  if test $want_cxx = no && test $enable_cxx = yes; then
    AC_MSG_ERROR([C++ compiler not available, see config.log for details])
  fi
fi

AM_CONDITIONAL(WANT_CXX, test $want_cxx = yes)

if test -z "$MPN_PATH"; then
  path="$add_path $path"
fi