I'll give it a try. It took me nearly a whole day to test on MinGW,
MinGW32, Cygwin and Cygwin64. Now it'll have to be done again, with and
without --enable-cxx. So that's two full days of testing.... if nothing
breaks.

MinGW, Cygwin and autotools are such piles of turd.

Besides, GMP doesn't do this. How does it build on Cygwin64? And why does
it only cause a problem on Cygwin64 and not on any other OS?

Bill.