On 02/04/2014 12:06, Bill Hart wrote:

> I think the name GMP_WITHIN_GMP refers to the fact that this is only an
> issue (in gmp-impl.h) for functions within GMP itself (primarily test
> code) calling internal GMP library functions.
>
> Obviously everything in gmp.h needs the declaration, because external
> projects access MPIR that way. But that is not the case for gmp-impl.h.
> It's only when we actually need to use one of the functions ourselves in
> test code that this is a problem. Hence GMP_WITHIN_GMP, I guess.

But the __GMP_WITHIN_GMP and __GMP_WITHIN_GMPXX defines are not
restricted to the test code. As you say, they have to be used for
bulding the MPIR and MPIRXX DLLs.

If we want to build a DLL we have to define three defines:

__GMP_LIBGMP_DLL
__GMP_WITHIN_GMP
__GMP_WITHIN_GMPXX

If we want to use a DLL, in test code or an MPIR based application:

__GMP_LIBGMP_DLL

The logic of using these obscure defines to choose which DLLs are built
defeats me.  It surely makes more sense to use the define BULLDING_DLL
and then use either or both:

__GMP_LIBGMP_DLL
__GMP_LIBGMPXX_DLL

to select which DLLs are to be be built OR used?