On 10/06/2014 03:26, wrai...@morpheus.net wrote:
> Brian has made some changes to allow the GMP-ECM repository to compile
> with MPIR-2.7.0-alpha5.  Initially, make failed for me and I had to make
> two small changes to get gmp-ecm to compile successfully.  Those changes
> were only needed in the following two files:
>
> gmp-ecm.h, change line 141 from:
> #if defined( __MPIR_RELEASE ) && __MPIR_RELEASE == 20600
> To:
> #if defined( __MPIR_RELEASE ) && __MPIR_RELEASE >= 20600

When Bill Hart implemented his new FFT code in MPIR 2.6.x, its internal
interface changed and an agreement was reached with the GMP-ECM team
that a fix could be included in GMP-ECM to accommodate MPIR 2.6.x
provided that the next MPIR release included a 'proper' fix for the
issue.  This code in gmp-ecm.h is this 'temporary' fix and it
deliberately applies to MPIR 2.6.0 only in order to meet our agreement
with the GMP-ECM team that it will not be needed for later MPIR releases.

Once the internal interface was agreed and fixed for MPIR 2.7.x, I put
the proper fix in in ecm-impl.h.  This may be an error on my part as I
had forgotten about the earlier 2.6.0 fix in gmp-ecm.h. I do agree that
it is odd to have these two fixes in two different places and I would
hence appreciate Paul's advice on the correct file within GMP-ECM in
which GMP and/or MPIR _internal_ interfaces should be accommodated.

Unless Bill indicates otherwise, the latter fix is definitive from an
MPIR perspective.

But before making any further changes in GMP-ECM code it is now
important to understand why building GMP-ECM with MPIR 2.7 works fine
for me but fails for wraithx.  I hence suggest that we sort this out on
the mpir-devel list since it is almost certainly an MPIR issue.  Once we
know why this happens, I would hope to find the right fix (and the right
location for it with Paul's advice).

Subject to other people's views, I think it might be sensible for
requests for changes to GMP-ECM to accommodate MPIR should first come to
me on the mpir-devel list as I am an MPIR maintainer and a maintainer of
the Windows MSVC build for GMP-ECM.

   best regards to all,

     Brian Gladman