hi bill and brian,
thanks for your input. I did look at the debug libraries and will keep them
in mind for future problems. but my problem was to find the routine that
was causing the heap growth.  and as the sensing tool ,I was using the
memory viewer in task manager for my process. this was not very helpful as
many procedures had loops of size 30 or so and the growth was was below the
1k cutoff of task manager.

I decided to look at "heap walk".  my process had 15 heaps many of which
had very many sub heaps.  however what I need was the sum of all the heap
sizes which was of course easy to do and had a 1 byte precision.  this was
quite useful as before and after a routine was called you found the size of
the heap and could then find the difference.  using this I found the
routine that was causing the growth, and of course it was an operator
error! in a routine used many times I declared and initialized mpf_t but
did not clear it when leaving.  it gave a leak of 8 bytes measured by my
heapsize monitor and when I cleared it when leaving the leak was fixed!!!

at this point my memory does not grow after the first loop during which
time it should grow.  it is noted that this leak eventually caused a memory
increase of several hundred meg in my process.

you may have in fact created such a tool in your debug efforts.

thank you both for your consideration and help.

david