On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:05:03 +0100, Cristov Russell wrote:

I don't think splitting a wave file constitutes a bootleg. A bootleg is an unofficial and often (but not always) unauthorized recording. We're talking about DVDs that are both official and authorized and released by the artists
label not someone's home movie.

That is a very important distinction. There are a) _recordings_ that are unauthroized, and b) _pressings_ that are unauthorized (but the material might be legallyavailable by other means).

To be very precise one could call a) a bootleg and b) a pirate copy. The immediate question is, however, how is this used in MusicBrainz?

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)