On 3/22/06, Don Redman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:50:10 +0100, Robert Kaye wrote:
> > Thus, Europe is fuzzier than then EU, which is desirable if we treat it
> > as an inferior piece of data that should be improved over time.
> In my reading of the past debates there was a kind of consensus that we
> should use the EU if any, not Europe. Now of course my observation might
> be biased, but if this is true, then you should follow this decision.
>
> Comments anyone (like a short "yes, that is my observation too" or "no, I
> don't think this was consensus")?

Neither. We only argued about: add EU/Europe - yes or no (AFAIR).

This result of yesterdays discussion was mainly based on the following points:

1. Make users who really want the Eu(rope) happy.
2. Keep the data as accurate as possible, by adding a more fuzzy
Europe instead of EU.

The latter might sound a bit strange, but we thought about how people
would use this new Region/Country. And the earlier discussion showed
that a lot of people who see a "Produced in the E.U." on there covers
would add EU as release country, which is wrong in (almost?) 100% of
the cases.

So Europe was the better choice for a) allowing a possible future
addition of EU, when it really might become necessary and b) to show
that this is indeed fuzzy data of the kind "from Europe, though I'm
not sure which country/countries".

This means, those "Europe" entries show release which _are_ from
Europe (which is information, that's more valuable than no release
event), but have a virtual "needs fixing" flag attached (see the
quoted part of Robert's mail above).

So this is a compromise to make everybody a bit more happy than before.

#Fuchs