On 23/03/06, Sami Sundell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:15:39AM +0000, Chris Bransden wrote:
>
> > i was suprised to see nothing on this in the wiki -
> > ReleaseCountryStyle is a proposed guideline, but perhaps that wikiname
> > would be better suited for some general guidelines as to what a
> > release country *is*.
>
> I have to admit, I pretty much hate the whole idea of release country.
> It's meaningful if there are different releases in different areas, but
> other than that, it only causes headache.

to be fair, there generally are seperate releases in different areas.
almost all major labels have divisions in each country, and their
respective releases will have their own cat#s, etc.

becomes a bit tricky with smaller labels, who distribute in a bit more
haphazard fasion. they might have the same cat#/pressing
internationally, but still they will tend to have a specific release
date for the countries they ship to.

in the EU(rope), it's true that you could potentially find any
national release in any store, but generally speaking i think you'll
usually find the local imprint, and even if you don't, it's not been
'released' in your country, it's just been imported.

once we handle labels, it should be a lot clearer what release was
released in what country. eg, the label page could show what cat#s are
relevant to where, and the distribution procedures of each label. eg
<http://www.discogs.com/label/One+Little+Indian>