On 4/19/06, Nathan Noble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- Frederic Da Vitoria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2006/4/19, Marco Sola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > I wish to add the following statement at the end
> of
> > http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalStyleGuide
> >
> > *  '''Common names'''
> >   *  It's the way the composers sometimes named
> their works and should be in
> > double quotes:
> >    *  'Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor Op. 57
> "Appassionata": II. Andante con
> > moto'.
> >
> > Waiting for comments.

Is there a reason you put that after the catalogue
number?  Seems more natural for it to directly follow
the proper name.  This is what I always use (most
people here don't seem to agree with the comma):

> > Are there any useful connection with any general
> styleguides?
>
> 1 - Not always composers. "Moonlight" was not an
> idea of Beethoven's!
>
> 2 - We should separate clearly common names from
> True names (I don't
> know the correct term), for example, "Don Giovanni"
> is not a common
> name, it is The Name of the opera. Though we could
> say Don Giovanni
> should be refered to as 'Opera KV 527 "Don
> Giovanni"'. This is
> beginning to get tricky!

I haven't had too much trouble with this.  If
something has a generic name, based on form + key
(e.g. piano sonata in F or symphony in G) it's easy to
identify the common name.  If not then the name the
composer gave it is the formal name, and any
additional names it is known by are common ones and go
in quotes.

There is an uglier case though.  Sometimes a piece has
more than one "formal" name.  I use parentheses in
that case, though it will be very hard to draw the
line between alternate formal name and a true common
name...  Example courtesy Chopin:

Variation on the March from Bellini's "I Puritani" in
E major (Hexaméron, No. 6), B. 113

Also, someone once added a note to my mod to leave out
catalogue/opus numbers for operas.  I agree with them.
This made sense to me since there is rarely ever
ambiguity with these works and it dirties the title.
Sort of like saying: "Lord of the Rings, New Line
Cinema 513423" or something.  Anyway, I've been
leaving off catalogues for operas, oratorios, and
ballets, but not incidental music.  And again it's
hard to draw lines.

-Nate

i agree with this only if we create a separate field for opus numbers etc.