On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:31:57PM -0500, Orion wrote:
> In large part it's from the bootlegs being of English artists performing
> in countries that aren't predominantly English.

Agreed there.

> "Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan" feels odd for some reason

It sounds fine to me in English, but I don't know how it's best expressed
in Japanese. You seem to be the one most likely to enter Japanese bootlegs
though so it's not likely to be my decision. ;)

> Or should be just make this guide cover releases aimed at English markets
> only to make it easier to come up with a guideline?  It'd help simplify
> matters with including subdivisions of nations, since if we do add them
> then they could all be in English city-division order without dealing
> with places that use division-city order.

Like I've said in another email, I'm not trying to come up with a guideline
to cover everything in the world. I'm trying to document current usage, in
a way, by proposing that we adopt one of the styles that have emerged (e.g.
abbreviating Canadian provinces). If we haven't got much data for certain
countries, we can't really say how those should be. Anyone is free to apply
the bootleg style to bootlegs from countries not yet in the database or
they're free to adapt it to fit the country better.

-Nikki