On 25/04/06, Nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would definitely prefer the local name, not only because this is the
> > official name, and we prefer official data almost everywhere. We might
> > still add the English name in an annotation.
>
> Yet we use the English name of the country. I think we should probably go
> with the English names with the English names of the countries, if only
> because they're more commonly used (and we can't force anyone to
> add data using local names).

IMO it should be at the moderators discretion. it's what's useful to
the users that is most important. since it's a free-text field
(album/track title), there's no reason to unify the data. If a french
user adds french language bootleg titles to an english band popular in
english speaking countries, they have to expect that to be either
voted down, or edited, and vice versa. democracy rules :)

this is unlike english names in the country field for release dates,
as that's database entry, so has to be unified, and eventually they'll
probably be a user preference to have them displayed in your native
language anyway.