Lars Aronsson wrote:
What I'm suggesting is simply that we could write in the guidelines that bootleg locations should

1. use the same placenames already used for other bootleg recordings (I can give you a list, based on the database dump)

2. for new locations, use placenames from article headings in the English Wikipedia.

The benefit of (2) is that we would let the Wikipedia community do all the tiresome discussion on what's a good name for the capital of Austria (which they will do anyway), and then we snatch their conclusion: "Vienna". I think that would be a time-saver.

The problem with that approach is it mostly only serves the English speaking community. With Wikipedia you have a splinter version for each language so it's easy to consistently use the English name in all instances on the English server. Here we have one server that is predominantly English but is used for non-English releases too. Saying "Use the name that English Wikipedia has decided" marginalizes them and makes the data less useful. If I enter a live bootleg like ブルウフロッ グ's "2005-12-30: 渋谷 RUIDO K2" one then while the EN Wikipedia community may have decided on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo it's not very useful; http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/東京 is. I'm not against pulling data from useful other sources like Wikipedia, but mandating that it all has to be English doesn't make sense because of the difference between our handling of multiple languages versus theirs.