Chidade wrote:
> Someone remind me how MB classifies music that has been ripped from DVDs
> again? It seems like this could be a similar situation.
>
> I can think of two ways to classify this off the top of my head:
>
> 2. Create some new Release Type called something like 'Data Rip' which
> could encompass music ripped from games or DVDs. I'm not sure what the
> Release Status would be though. Bootleg still seems appropriate.

Option 2 seems better to me, but bootleg doesn't seem appropriate.
Bootlegs are generally releases not approved by the creators of the
music (or their representatives)  Games and DVDs are obviously released
with that approval. (at least, legal approval -- if not, lawsuits happen)

First, DVDs: the only difference is in the details of how the data is
stored.  In particular, DVD audio format is just as much standardized as
CD audio; I see no reason that ripping from CD is "official" but ripping
from DVD turns it into a bootleg. DVDs should probably have their own
release type, "DVD".

Second, games: There's a lot more variation here of course, but most
games use some form of standard audio format (e.g. mp3, ogg).  Sometimes
the format will be combined into some kind of specialized structure,
sometimes not.  Again, I see no reason that (e.g) copying .mp3 files
from a data medium turns them into a "bootleg".  These should probably
have their own release type, perhaps 'game disc'.

Some people use as a "litmus test" for this, whether the game disc will
play on "standard [hardware] media players" (or some such).  DVDs
certainly qualify for this.  Game discs may or may not, but at least
some can -- ones that are stored in .mp3 format on CD, should play in
mp3 players which accept the CD as a medium.  Once you accept that
*some* data such as that is acceptable, it becomes a messy case-by-case
basis of whether a certain format is "OK" and another is "not OK". (are
mp3 files stored on a DVD OK? on a usb stick?  how about mp3 files
stored in a zip file on a CD?  How about several mp3 files concatenated
into a single file, stored on a CD? ...etc.)

Then there's the problem of track ordering, since many formats don't
have the concept of track numbers that CD does; in the absence of other
information, how should they be ordered?  What about DVD?  Do "tracks"
correspond to titles, chapters, or to DVD's concept of audio tracks?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"