Chidade wrote:
>     Option 2 seems better to me, but bootleg doesn't seem appropriate.
>     Bootlegs are generally releases not approved by the creators of the
>     music (or their representatives)  Games and DVDs are obviously released
>     with that approval. (at least, legal approval -- if not, lawsuits
>     happen)
>

> I'm still not completely convinced of your argument. Yes, these DVDs and
> games have been released officially, but as DVDs and games! The creators
> weren't expecting people to rip the audio tracks from them and listen to
> them on seperate media/equipment.

The same is true of CDs, but the fact that this is done does not make
them bootlegs.  Also true for vinyl; at the time it was first used as a
recording medium, the entire concept of "rip the audio tracks...and
listen to them on separate media/equipment" would've been rather alien.

> That's not what the games/DVDs were
> released for.

To take an example: the "Mars Attacks" DVD contains an alternate audio
track for the film, containing the score.  I'm quite sure this was
intended for people to listen to.  There are also many many DVDs of
concerts, as well as audio DVDs.  For these, the situation is comparable
to a CD: The disc is intended to be played to in a hardware player; any
other use (such as extraction and compression) is outside the bounds of
the intended use, regardless of whether the medium is CD or DVD.  The
fact that tools to do this from CD are more readily available than those
for DVD is irrelevant.  So if compressing DVD audio into an mp3 makes it
a bootleg, so does compressing CD audio into an mp3.

> Furthermore, I suspect that the creators are quite unhappy
> at the idea of people ripping music from the game when they'd much
> prefer to sell them a separate CD - the "original soundtrack" - even if
> it does have slightly different or missing tracks than what can be
> gained by ripping.

I doubt the creators of the game are any less happy about people copying
mp3 or ogg files from a game disc or install directory, than the
creators of the music are about people reading CD-DA and converting it
to mp3.  If anything, they're likely to be more happy about it, since
it's not taking sales away from their main product: the game itself.

> Perhaps the only reason they don't make lawsuits out
> of it is because they're too preoccupied with preventing piracy of the
> games or DVDs in their original form, not just the music tracks from it.

I meant lawsuits by the original creators of it, directed at whoever
released their music on DVD, CD, or in a game without their (legal)
approval.  And these lawsuits can and do happen. Of course, it's
possible for a creator to not really approve of a release and still have
given their legal approval, due to contracts/licenses and such.

> These tracks are taken from the games or DVDs in a way that isn't
> officially sanctioned by the creators, otherwise they would provide a
> way to access them officially (like making the DVD a multimedia disc
> that can be inserted in a computer for bonus material). I think this is
> reason enough to call them bootlegs.

Same for CD -- if we're going to have CD information in the DB, that's
no argument against DVDs or game music.

>     Then there's the problem of track ordering, since many formats don't
>     have the concept of track numbers that CD does; in the absence of other
>     information, how should they be ordered?  What about DVD?  Do "tracks"
>     correspond to titles, chapters, or to DVD's concept of audio tracks?
>
> I imagine it could be arranged in the order they're stored on the
> medium. Failing that, alphabetical is as good an ordering as any.

Right, the problem is determining the order (especially when you get
into multi-level trees of directories, and such).

> But
> something like this may be another argument for marking them as
> bootlegs.

Not at all.  A bootleg indicates that the album is not officially
released by the artist.  It has nothing to do with what medium it is
released on, or whether it's difficult to figure out the track ordering.
 To me a better solution would be to extend MB to not require track
numbering/ordering -- that is, an album can be a collection of tracks,
not necessarily in a specific order.

> Then again, it could be a reason not to have entries like
> these in MB at all.

I think this idea that only releases from CD are allowed into MB would
be a very controversial one.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"