Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
Isn't it the case that different users want different things and that
the same thing doesn't apply to all releases? When I've added
soundtracks I've tried to use the performing artist (because it's on
the sleeve and it's the only thing I know). But for some soundtracks,
like Spirited Away
(http://musicbrainz.org/release/7327ef89-e214-4f90-8d5d-3e56ffe21d0b.html)
I'm far more interested in knowing the composer (Joe Hisaishi) than
what orchestra happened to record it.

As far as musicals are concerned, I think where there are vocals, the performer should be listed. When the soundtrack is instrumental, the composer is appropriate. I know for my own collection, I prefer this method and will generally retag anything Musicbrainz does that is contrary to it.

--
Paula Callesøe
aka spacefish & Mrs. Steele

play : The Lord of the Rings Online