Brian Schweitzer wrote:
> I actually find it rather easy to believe that all 160, 170, 180 CDs
> would be prior releases.  Philips drew upon theit back-catalogue to
> assemble their boxes, DG did the same, and BC licensed all their discs
> from others.

I think there is BC material in there (Belder on harpsichord in the
divertimentos e.g. (or whatever you mentioned the other day); BC has
recorded quite much with Belder).

Some of the Belder-BC stuff is also of the less-interesting-Mozart
category (if you'll allow me to suggest that not every Mozart piece is
brilliant ;), so it's possible it hasn't been available separately.

The Philips is perhaps different in this respect, but I'd be a little
surprised if all discs were previously released with the same grouping
of material and same track splitting.

For the set sparking this discussion, I think it possible that even the
grouping and splitting has all been done before (Sony BMG Masterworks
does little but spew out fantastically cheap older stuff these days),
but it contains an additional CDRom...

  The tracklists, when we have identified earlier
> releases, do match entirely.  But this is all irrelevant hand waving.
> The point is, the set discs are identified as "Box set disc #73", not
> as "This disc is a reissue of the CD label XYZ released as cat # foo
> in 1975".  They don't identify themselves separately, they only have
> an identity, there, as a part of that box.
>
> Yet, what's being done in the referenced edits isn't this.  Noone is
> actually taking the entire box and looking to identify each and every
> disc before making such a decision.  If that were done, I'd still
> disagree, but I'd at least respect the logic behind it.
>
> Instead, what's being done is, one by one as the discs are being
> entered by a different editor, other editors are trying to ID what the
> original release of that single disc was, and the adding editor then
> is being "encouraged" to rename that single disc to the original
> release.

I see you are still misrepresenting what I said in those edit notes...