Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Leiv Hellebo wrote:
>
>     Having the double/upright bass under violins, one could use "has Violins
>     performed by" for music which is for "String orchestra"
>     (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_orchestra).
>

> What's wrong with "has strings performed by"?. I mean, wouldn't it be
> better to alter the instrument three (probably only change the name of
> "String instruments" to "Strings")?

I don't quite get your second sentence, so I'm gonna assume it should
read something like "wouldn't it be better to just change the name, not
alter the instrument tree". My reply:

Nothing is wrong with "has strings performed by".

Now the only thing I know to be outright wrong about the instrument
tree, is the two entries for the one instrument double bass / acoustic
upright. This will be solved easily, at least I guess so from reading
the ticket. But I thought it worth the while to throw in an "and guys,
while you're improving on the bass handling, please consider doing a
little more".

I get by well with how things are, so if I'm the only one who ever felt
the need for this, it can safely be postponed indefinitely :)

In short my reasons for wanting the moving of bass:

Originally written for viols only:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/13d020f4-b6a9-4ecd-9a7d-723186996afd.html
And this is arranged for viols
http://musicbrainz.org/release/abb5deba-30f3-4947-8cde-c2465f1d0f50.html

None contain double bass however, but still "has viola da gambas
performed by" seems proper.

Contrast this with this release
http://musicbrainz.org/release/76609221-16a2-419d-8d68-3b5710ac62bf.html

This is all violins there, but I couldn't choose "violins", without
adding also "has double bass performed by", which would have looked weird...

In other words: I think moving the bass subtree would fit better with
the way ensembles are put together, and with how composers have written
for these instruments.

Leiv

PS. I am not of the opinion one should always descend as far down in the
instrument tree as possible when adding ARs. I do them inconsistently,
and occasionally even use "XX is performed by YY" without specifying
instruments further:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/2bed95e5-cf84-409e-9d1e-303c8588c687.html

It should be clear enough from the context what is going on, and only
the description on PerformerRelationshipType ("If you know that a
certain artist performed on a track/release, but you do not know what
they performed, then [only specify PerformedBy]") makes me inclined to
think something more specific is needed.

Other times, though, it makes very much sense to add them, and I should
have done so for track number eight here:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/8176ea03-9616-4e40-bc5e-18c96e466f4d.html

(And I will add them, when I get the time.)