On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Lauri Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Cadalach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2008/5/15 Frederic Da Vitoria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >> - Wind instruments -> Winds
> >> - string instruments -> Strings
> >> - percussion instruments -> Percussions
> >>
> >> This would improve the resulting sentences: "foo performed percussions"
> >> seems much better to me than "foo performed percussion instruments"
> >
> > These all sound awkward and unnatural to me. If space isn't an issue
> > (which I don't think it is here) then I'd leave them as they are and
> > make sure any other cases we might like to include so that they follow
> > suit.
>
> Percussion is ok, and often credited that way.  Strings less often,
> but you see it with 'arranged strings' etc, rather than actual
> performance.  I've never seen or heard of 'winds' though (woodwinds
> yes, but not just winds), and I think we get in enough trouble with
> the places MB terminology differs from the rest of the world.
>
> So I could see:
>
> Wind Instruments (or: Woodwinds)
> Strings
> Percussion
> (and Brass)
> (and all the stuff we have that your average orchestra would have to
> ponder where to sit them)
>
> That pesky English grammar and all that.

Ok. Sorry for the mistakes, I sometimes forget that e French cannot be
directly translated to English, even if it seems logical. So I suggest to:
1 - change "String instruments" to "Strings"
2 - change "Percussion instruments" to "Percussion"
3 - leave the "Wind instruments" as "Wind instruments" (woodwinds are a
subset of Wind instruments in the instrument tree, and I believe they should
be kept separated)

--
Frederic Da Vitoria