Hmm, so why do we have the separation between tracklist and recordings
at all in NGS? If we want to always use the canonical name, then we
can just have tracks, like pre-NGS. Wasn't part of the idea here to
resolve the tension between "what it says" and "what it is"?

It's clear that there are different interpretations here and that the
documentation needs to be updated so that it leaves little or no room
for interpretation.

Philip

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 16:39, SwissChris <swissch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think this is a good approach. "All Is Full Of Love"  and "all is
> full of love" both are IMHO "ridiculous". We had this discussion before:
> cover graphics (including Capitalization) are "graphic designers intent",
> not "artist intent". We don't store the size nor he color of the letters, we
> don't store information like italic or bold characters either, so why would
> we want to keep absurd capitalizations. To see how a cover really looks we
> always can report to a cover-AR-pic…
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@foolip.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Track_and_release_titles
>>
>> This documentation isn't terribly clear, it doesn't say if the normal
>> case is to use the capitalization on the release, only "Follow the
>> appropriate Capitalization Standard when the track listing on the
>> release does not distinguish between upper and lower case." Is the
>> intention that the original capitalization should be used except if it
>> is in all uppercase? Do we assume that all lowercase is intentional
>> while all uppercase is just a matter of style?
>>
>> Further, the examples table is not at all clear about this example:
>>
>> "All Is Full Of Love and all is full of love" => "All is Full of Love"
>>
>> Does this mean that if *both* of these capitalizations are used on a
>> release, then it should be normalized? Or does it mean that if the
>> release says only "All Is Full Of Love" (very common) it should still
>> be normalized?
>>
>> What I'm hoping the general idea is that we should follow the original
>> capitalization, except where that would be ridiculous, e.g. if it was
>> all uppercase. Even though I don't like the style, I hope we should
>> preserve something like "All Is Full Of Love".
>>
>> --
>> Philip Jägenstedt

Philip Jägenstedt