On 12 June 2011 12:11, jacobbrett <jacobbr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

snip...

> In my opinion:
>
> Track/Release Titles:
> *    Typographical errors
> *    Incorrect titles (e.g. bootleg prints title as a line from the lyrics,
> or two track titles are swapped)
> *    Poor capitalisation (ALL-CAPS, all-lowercase etc., barring Artist
> Intent or Japanese/foreign exception)
> *    Subtitle (Japanese/foreign exception)
> *    Series/Volume/Part numbers (Japanese/foreign exception)
> *    Extra title information:
>    *    "Song Name remix name" → "Song Name (remix name)"
>    *    "Song Name 〜remix name〜" → no change (Japanese/foreign exception)
> *    Some abbreviations:
>    *    "w/" → "with"
>    *    "ft." → "feat."
>
> If any affected features "as printed" are important for identifying a
> particular release, a note can be made in the release annotation.

This seems a good list of things to clean up.  My main use for MB is
to obtain data on a release that has been sanitised and explicitly to
avoid having the title and artist of a track vary between different
releases.  If you really want a database of cover replicas, there's
already Discogs.

> I think the above rules would sufficiently retain the titling as intended on
> a particular release, while making it more useful/less erroneous and
> standardised. The recording title could take the above further by having
> further normalisation applied ("with" → "feat."? Perhaps a better example is
> needed here...), as well as Consistent Original Data [1] (so that it would
> act as the "canonical" title).

The recording title should be the most complete possible title (i.e.
with all feat. attributions, etc.) and normalised (e.g. with->feat as
you say).

> I previously rationalised some of these points here:
> http://musicbrainz.1054305.n4.nabble.com/VolumeNumberStyle-in-NGS-td3573712i20.html#a3588251
>
> [1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/History:Consistent_Original_Data
>
> --

Andii :-)