http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14779672

Right after NGS went live went live I made a few edits like this
myself, but soon stopped because it seems to be destroying information
for tagging. In the case where you have multiple recordings of the
same song that were never decorated with "(new version)" or similar on
the cover, we're going to have to make something up as a
disambiguation comment. In such a case, I certainly would not want to
see that comment in my "normalized" tag.

How are others using the recording comment? I consider it just like
the artist and release comments, i.e. something not covered by strict
guidelines for disambiguation purposes only, not for tagging.

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording does not provide any guidance.

--
Philip Jägenstedt