On 17 August 2011 18:31, Tanu Kaskinen <ta...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New subscriber here. This mail is sort of continuation to the thread
> from last month:
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/musicbrainz-style/2011-July/012343.html
>
> The edit that motivated me to subscribe and write this mail is this:
> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/15021896
>
> So, let's assume that a pop hit has a recording that is the clear
> "standard" version: there are no separate album, single or radio edits
> (there are some remixes, but these aren't usually played on the radio or
> released on hit compilations, so they don't compete for the "standard"
> status).
>
> What does the community think about these issues:
>
> 1) Would it be best to leave the "standard" recording without any
> comment?

Yes, if it's the full unmodified version.  This is still true if it's
the version from an album
and there's also a radio edit and a 12" floating around.  For the
latter two, that's info.
that should go in ETI in the track title, not the disambiguation comment.

The comment field is for entries that are needed to distinguish
entries in the DB but
wouldn't appear on a release.  For example, there are two different
tracks by Madonna
called 'Forbidden Love' so they need a disambiguation comment as to which album
they are from to prevent merges. You don't want that information in
the track title as it
won't appear on a release.  We've also used it to mark recordings
which have been altered
as they are used as part of a DJ mix.

ETI like 'radio edit', '12" version', 'remix', etc. do appear on
releases and should be retained
in the track title *except* where they are obviously just referring to
the 'standard'/main/original
version (usually the one on a studio album, but not always).

> 2) If not, what would be the best comment?
>
> 3) Would "album version" be significantly better than "album version
> from [release title]"?

Why would you need either? The recording will be associated with all
the releases it appears on.

> (Of course, providing rationale for the yes/no answers would be
> appreciated.)
>
> I've been adding "album version from [release title]" to several
> recordings during the last few days. Depending on the answers, I will
> either change my evil ways or I won't.

Please don't do this.   You're wasting your time.

> --
> Tanu

Andii :-)