Frederic:

Thank you for your ideas about this issue. It's valuable to hear a lot of
different perspectives about how MusicBrainz should deal with "works".

I think you and I agree about many things. However, I have a slight
disagreement with you about two points:

Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

> I believe that as Calvin pointed out, simply applying this idea to the
> data
> would make the data partially unusable. OTOH, very few users would be
> willing to enter the level of data duplication which would be needed, so
> that the data quality in classical music would become very poor because
> too
> many useful AR duplications would not be entered.

Let me highlight the words "would become very poor". That seems to imply
that the data quality -- of Works entities with Parts relationships, and
Relationships on those entities, that's the topic here -- is good now.  I
believe that the number of Works entities with both sub-parts and
Relationships is quite small. This is because the editing tools for
multi-part Works and Relationships are very poor. I entered just the child
Works for one opera, and it was a very long and tedious process.

Is there a way to measure how good the data is?  For instance, do we have a
count of how many Works have both multiple levels using the Parts
Relationship, and have Relationships for things like composer?  I looked for
a way to test this using MB Search, and
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Text_Search_Syntax, but I couldn't find a way to
looks for Relationships.

I argue that the data quality, i.e. the number and importance of
Relationships on Works entities which also have Parts Relationships, is poor
in the MusicBrainz database right now. I base this on perceptions, not
facts. Can anyone cite facts, search results, etc., to prove otherwise?  If
we have no proof that the data quality is currently good, then RFC-339 will
either have no effect, or will make bad data bad in a different way.

I believe the data quality here will remain poor until we have better
editing tools, and we have to make design choices like RFC-339 before the
editing tools can improve. RFC-339 won't improve the data greatly. It will
just be a brick in the bridge leading to better data. We need many other
bricks also.

Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

> There is a discrepancy between making input user-friendly and keeping the
> data retrieval efficient...

I agree. A "distinction" might be an even better word than "discrepancy",
but I understand your meaning.

Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

> I believe that since data retrieval is after all
> the justification of data entry, then the database should physically make
> retrieval as efficient as possible, which means that ARs should be
> duplicated.

As a software engineer, I do not completely agree with this statement.  The
database should physically make retrieval efficient /enough/ to accomplish
its purpose. But design is about tradeoffs, and efficiency is not the only
factor we are trying to balance. Once the retrieval is efficient enough,
then other factors -- like data consistency and clarity of meaning -- should
get greater weight.