On 11/01/2011 09:45 AM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Well, that's easy. We just go to the documentation page for Work
> (http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Work) and follow the instructions there.
>
> *Attributes*... *Type*... The type of work. Hmm, I wonder what they mean by
> that. It's probably explained elsewhere on the page.
>
> *Types of works*... Aha! Here we go.
>
> [snip]
>
> Seems fairly straightforward. The Type menu on the Work entity is said to
> have two choices: Discrete, and Aggregated.  So let's look at the actual
> menu.
>
> Oh no! It says.... Aria, Ballet, Cantata, ..., Song. But not Discrete and
> not Aggregated. And none of the entries actually in the Type menu are
> described in the "Type attribute" section of the documentation!
>
> Perhaps a good next step would be for someone who remembers the creation of
> the Type menu in the Works editor to propose new text for the Work
> documentation which describes the Type choices actually in the menu.

Paul's Work Draft [1] is slightly more up-to-date than wiki/Work.

I /believe/ the "types" list as it exists now was created more  for the
purpose of testing than for anything else. As luks has said elsewhere
[2], " NGS was meant to mainly improve on the release/recording model,
the minimalistic work model was added to experiment with the data and
see how to make it useful."

Based on discussion in the Work Guidelines Draft 1 thread [3] , I added
the idea of a "form" attribute, and re-purposed "type" to describe
/only/ the work's place in a Work Tree.

Alex / caller#6

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:PBryan/Work/Draft_1
[2]