Max Kellermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2008/08/20 10:48, Eric Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've merged my core-rewrite branch into the HEAD of my repository at
> > git://git.musicpd.org/normalperson/mpd
> >
> > commit 1b197e65232e1a51b853db53985e8eda61f1b196
> >
> > A huge thanks to Qball for testing and reporting bugs.
> >
> > Again, this is a fairly large rewrite of the hairy synchronization
> > internals of mpd.  Qball and I hope to have found the major
> > showstoppers, but of course Murphy lurks everywhere.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> it's good to see you join my attempt to clean up the MPD core.  I have
> been working on merging your tree with mine for the past 3 days.  I
> have now attempted to rebase my git branch with
> 44d9f62f34e0561d83ea32941f0ea1b529b1490d, but that is a huge task.
>
> Unfortunately, you have been ignoring my patches for the last months,
> nothing got merged, except for some very critical bug fixes.  The
> "core-rewrite" patch is an undocumented huge mess, because it tries to
> do everything at once, making any attempts to merge my patches very
> very much work.  You should have splitted that one into many small
> patches, like I have been doing.

I'm sorry for making a huge mess, but I couldn't find another way to do
it coherently.  I've been working on mpd while running on fumes the
past few months; so it's basically been a few minutes here, a few
minutes there.

> Instead of building your rewrite on the basis of my patches, you chose
> to rewrite everything on your own, borrowing ideas from my patches -
> e.g. "merged start, stop, seek into DecoderControl.command" wasn't
> merged, instead of you implemented your own "enum dc_action", which is
> basically the same, except the names are different, so merging isn't
> possible, again.  Folding my patch is also not possible, because of
> the monolithic nature of your patch.

There wasn't enough clear direction in where you were going with changes
patches to the core; and from the things I saw, I made it clear that I
did not like your changes to core.  Also, some of your less-intrusive
changes may have simply gotten ignored because I mentally associated
them with your overly complex (iow, "flexible") API.

I won't repeat myself, see:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20080415064032.GA21504%40soma

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20080602100544.GB22285%40hand.yhbt.net
  (sorry, SF.net archives are slow and utter crap, fortunately I've
   started a mirror to gmane last week so we'll be able to reference
   that for new messages)

> My branch is currently based on your commit
> f9f70860622613686e6ac0bf7ebd448f437d92a7, and currently I do not feel
> like starting to work on merging your core rewrite, which would take
> several days: simply put, a lot of wasted time, just because you
> didn't cooperate with me.  I'd better spend this time on improving
> other projects.

The way I see it, you didn't cooperate with me by refusing to accept
some key commits (r7352, r7353, r7354) and going your own way after I
repeatedly said I did not like the complexity (again, "flexibility") of
the API.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, you have done some very good work.

I have every intention of merging features like aac streaming and jack
improvements.

--
Eric Wong