On 00:02 11 Aug 2002, David Rock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 01:34:55PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > Or with no legitimate domain name to use for outgoing return information;
| > to run a mail service you really do need a valid reply domain, at
| > least for the addresses (From:) that you permit to escape into the
| > outside world. On a dialup or cable connection you don't have this
| > unless you make yourself a domain, eg via homeip.net etc. And if you
| > have an opressive ISP (eg optus@home, my cable provider) you _can't_
| > run an publicly visible SMTP server because optus filter that port.
|
| Wouldn't you just use my_hdr From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] to cover most of
| this problem?

No. The outgoing headers include enough reply information for misdelivery
to cause bounces to go into the ether, or to my ISP (_postmaster_ or
suchlike at my ISP, not _me_) that this is the wrong approach. It is
necessary that the first _mail_system_ that handle things be a valid
standalone domain for this reason. So either one needs one's own domain
and a full setup on the home box, or one needs to deliver directly to
the ISP's SMTP service.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Using encryption on the Internet is the equivalent of arranging an armored
car to deliver credit-card information from someone living in a cardboard box
to someone living on a park bench.      - Gene Spafford