On Mon, November 10, 2014 5:29 pm, DaleKelly wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 05:58 PM, DaleKelly wrote:
>
>> Login failed. Command USER is not supported by server.
>>

> APOP authentication failed.
> proceeds the above error
>
> although it works!!!
>
> don't like errors, any help appreciated much

If I recall correctly, POP interface was added to Mutt as an afterthought.
A search on "mutt retrieve pop" reveals that others have found Mutt in the
role of retrieving messages from a POP server to be problematic.

But why waste time with a Mutt function which is questionable, when a good
POP solution is available in getmail?  Switch to getmail and be done with
it.

getmail knows how to retrieve mail from most types of mail server.
getmail is reliable.  And getmail can provide a log of each transaction;
this facilitates diagnostics.

RLH