I am wondering if there has been any work done on the last LGPL (3.23.58
I assume) version of the client libraries to modernize them?  I've seen
one project to do so, but it seems never to have gotten off the ground.

I would also like to know what technical issues would surround trying to
use the 3.23.58 client libraries to communicate with 4.0/4.1 databases.
 Is this possible?  What sort of restrictions would this place on
functionality?

Thanks in advance for any information.  Trying to get this information
online has been frustrating.  The noise ratio is very high - can only
seem to find posts complaining about the license change, not information
on the technical issues.

        Kurt.