I'm new to MySQL and am using version 4-1-12a on my development
machine locally this query works just fine:

SELECT * FROM actor
    WHERE id IN
        ( SELECT id FROM episode_cast
            WHERE episode_number =001)

but when I try to run it from the web server which is running version
4.0.24-standard I get an error:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'SELECT id from episode_cast WHERE episode_number = 001

I put this together from a book that's at least 2 years old so I
wouldn't have thought that it was because of different versions, but I
could well be wrong!

Any help would be much appreciated.