i have a production system running FreeBSD 6.2-p3/MySQL 5.0.33, with 2
databases.  i also have a development box, which is pretty much a mirror of my
production system, that i would like to import my databases into.  daily, the
production system dumps the databases to .sql files, as well as is also backed
up by a netbackup server to tape (entire filesystem is backed up.  right now
the dev system has had no databases created in it.

is it possible to restore from tape, the /var/db/mysql directory from the
production into the dev system (ie, and would it start and load those
databases?)  or, is really the only viable way to migrate or restore a
database, is to create the blank database, and then reload the dump?

thanks,
jonathan