The reporting of two rows thing is to do with how MySQL handles
INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ... statements; it will report 1 row
if it inserts, and 2 rows if it finds a duplicate key and has to update
as well.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/insert-on-duplicate.html

Just after the first code box.

--