After much stress, I finally found the answer to my problem.  Here is the
error message that I was getting:

020322 11:54:29  Slave: Failed reading log event, reconnecting to retry, log
'bend149-bin.002' position 2407727
020322 11:54:29  Slave: reconnected to master
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3306',replication resumed in log 'bend149-bin.002' at
position 2407727 020322 11:54:29  Slave: received 0 length packet from
server, apparent master shutdown:  (0)

and the solution that I found was to make sure the all of the servers in the
system, including the master db server, had unique server id's.

it took me a while to realize that the master and one of the slaves had the
same id.  this is in part because we had to switch out the old master db and
replace it with one of the slave machines and then built a new machine to
take the place of the missing slave.

This is just to help out the next person that comes across this problem.  it
took me a while to find the solution and I hope this makes their search much
shorter.

Jim Lucas
www.bend.com

sql, query, select, insert, update, replace,  etc...  is that enough...