Hi:

I'm hoping you can lend some helping thoughts....

The system: a perl mailing list tool which accepts add/deletes via
emails (sendmail piped) and then updates the backend database
accordingly.

The problem: once about 10 or more emails arrive, I begin to get
performance problems from the Linux box.  The drive is on
continuously, the system is unresponsive, and its difficult to
determine where the bottleneck is occurring.  (eg. a sendmail issue,
perl code is inefficient, mysql performance issues, system resources,
etc.). Low volumes (< 10) of email operate flawlessly.

I figured a good way to begin was to instrument the various mysql
activities to see how long they were taking.... is this a good
approach?  Any advise on different approaches?

Thanks
Keith