Mikael Fridh wrote:

Martin,

Shut down your 3.23 server.
Make a binary copy of the data.
Install 4.0
Upgrade your privileges with the 4.0 script.
Start 4.0 server.

That's it, right?
Worked for me...
When doing backups I always do a full recursive backup of the entire mysql
data directory. This way I know that I'm safe if something happens.
master logs, relay logs and .info files.
That should make me feel safe, right?

I've never done a backup with mysqldump. Database is about 10 GB on disk so
I figure it will be fairly large with a regular mysqldump.
/Mike

That sounds OK for an upgrade plan, but I would use mysqldump for regular backups if I were you.
If you get table corruption, using mysqldump may highlight your problem so you can take action about it. At the least it will give you a backup of whatever is valid, and skip the parts it can't figure out.
If you just backup a snapshot of your mysql data directory, you'll be backing up whatever corruption you may have, and if you don't work it out soon, you may not have a valid snapshot to go back to.

Also I've seen some people recommending that you use mysqldump and periodically drop all your data and import from a mysqldump-produced backup to 'freshen things up', and defragment the innodb tables and stuff like that.

Dan