Jon Drukman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i've got one master and one slave.  the master is VERY busy, tons of
> inserts/updates/deletes all the time.  (it's an extremely high traffic
> message board system.)
>
> we've got a situation right now where the slave starts lagging WAY
> behind the master.  it's as if it simply can't run through the binary
> log fast enough to keep up.  both machines are identical hardware-wise,
> and very powerful (dual 3ghz P4, 4G RAM, 15K RPM scsi disks in RAID0+1).
>  the slave does not show undue load or anything.  mysql is the only
> process (besides normal linux stuff) running on both machines.  disk is
> fine, cpu is fine.  i don't know where to look next.
>
> one of my developers says:
>
> > The only thing I can think of is that on db2, we're running so many
> > inserts/updates/deletes in parallel, while on db3 they have to run
> > sequentially.  One set of long-running updates can hose up the whole
> > queue.  Even if there's a series of 1-second updates that run on db2
> > against a table that nobody else is accessing, that would add up on
> > the db3 side.

Sounds like reasonable. This might be it!

> any ideas where to look for tuning/optimization?  we've converted some

Not at once. You'll definitely need some consulting here. Apply to MySQL
payed support to fine-tune MySQL or to a MySQL support & consulting partner
company (like us ;)) to develop solution for your software. Both links are
in signature.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com