> there's Full Disclosure (another place where I
> have Gadi kill filed),

Are you sure this isn't your own personal issue?

> When I see Cisco (or Juniper, or Extreme) announcements about a
> vulnerability, those are useful. Nonsense about Solaris 10 telnet
> vulnerabilities, or FedGov meetings, or requests for someone from
> Comcast to please call (and what is it with Comcast,
> anyway?).

10 years ago, in February 2007, someone posted a message to NANOG asking
for a URL for FIX-WEST info:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/1997-02/msg00023.html
It probably was as irrelevant to most people as those Comcast queries
but as important to this one individual as the Comcast queries. It
didn't do serious damage to the list because it is still here. I
hesitate to mention the fact that there was also a posting about a
Federal Network Council meeting because you probably don't like the
author. The full Feb 1997 index is here:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/1997-02/index.html

I don't think that NANOG has changed as much as you claim. People
generally remember the "good old days" as better than today and this is
especially so when you used to be involved in something special,
revolutionary, uncharted. You can't bring back the past, by shouting
about it or by trying to do the same old thing. If you really want
"special", "revolutionary" and "uncharted" then you have to get out of
Internet operations and try something truly new.

> if the last spate of crazies hasn't driven them all off).

The community exists to serve its members. If the membership of NANOG
changes, then NANOG must change too.

--Michael Dillon