On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> If we accept the "clue" problem as the solution, I think we
> accept the fact that we condone the vendor not having secure
> solutions. That may be fine for our new colleague the 'security

vendors should always, or be beatten about the head/shoulders when not,
put out secure products... always.

> engineer', but it's not good for the Internet as a whole and it
> distracts us from the work of making it work.

how is it better for security engineers? it's hell, every 3rd month a new
'default passwd' often on a 'security' device :( talk about stupid :(

> Offering tutorials at NANOG is a great effort towards the
> clue issue, but maybe we should offer vendors tutorials on
> the inverse?

Some vendors have asked and received this sort of thing, does huwei (which
I butchered the spelling of) want one? (or need one?) how about netgear
and their lovely NTP issue? or checkpoint or ... there are quite a few
vendors out there, some even attend NANOG. If they listened to their
customers I suspect they'd hear: "I want a secure platform!" quite loudly.