Mark,

I think you’re forgetting about the all-important blower fan in a gas-fired
furnace.

That said, the reason the code requires furnaces to be hardwired is to ensure
that the blower interlock system can’t be bypassed. An electrical interlock
ties a heat recover ventilator to circulation air blower operation of a
forced-air furnace system. This ensure that the blower circulates supply and
return air within the structure. A plug-in power source leads to the
possibility that this interlock could be accidentally defeated, resulting in an
overheat within the flame box.

 -mel