2008/5/30 Nelson Benítez León <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> 2008/5/30 Christian Neumair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Am Donnerstag, den 29.05.2008, 22:20 +0200 schrieb Nelson Benítez León:
>> > Gracias a ti :) , thanks for finally getting this patch in nautilus!!,
>>
>> ¡no ha sido nada!
>>
>> >  also you mention in a TODO some mimetypes file-roller doesn't support
>> > adding files into, do you know a file-roller bug about that? if not
>> > I'll file it.
>>
>> I did not file any, because it affects bzip- or gzip-encapsulated
>> tarballs, and I am not sure whether this feature is useful at all for
>> them.
>>
>> In contrast to zip files or simple tarballs, you'd have to read the
>> entire encapsulated tarball from the gzip file, store at a temporary
>> location, append the file and re-encapsulate it. This may not be a good
>> idea on remote system.
>>

> File-roller shows a ui dialog with a progress bar when the operation is
> getting long.. but if this is not enough, we could just ignore bzip-gzip
> tarballs on remote system, but allow it in local, but I personally would
> permit it for all...
>

>> I think the most commonly used archives are zip and rar files, because
>> they can easily be used on a Windows or MacOS system. .tar.bz2/.tar.gz
>> files seem to be mainly used for software distribution.
>>

>> If you still wonder why the TODO comment was written that way: The UI
>> seems to support the addition of files for compressed tarballs, but the
>> command line not - at least not with my testcase.
>>
>> But the actual question is whether we want to a time-consuming update of
>> tarballs without any UI feedback, and does not depend on whether
>> file-roller supports this.
>>

> File-roller have ui feedback when the operation is getting long, try adding
> a 90MB file to a zip file and you'll see the dialog..

I've been testing file-roller trunk and has improved[1] a lot lately, both
in performance and formats support, it's now working fine in adding
files/dirs to tar.gz and tar.bz2 archivers from commandline, and it's faster
than before.

As for the ui feedback, a progress dialog is always showed if the operation
lasts more than 5 seconds [2].

So I would like your opinion about applying this patch to support those
formats.

[1] See NEWS files in
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/file-roller/2.23/
[2] It is said in
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/file-roller/2.20/file-roller-2.23.3.news