I agree that I have been really sparse on details. Let me try to explain a
little bit more what I'd like to achieve.

*Problem:*
Today one of the big problems in file management is that users have to deal
with large amount out files in many different formats.

*How the FM view can help:*
- It could provide users with a custom presentation for each type of data,
(e.g. Windows' photo roll view)
- It could provide a way to quickly preview files without opening them, and
without having a preview sidebar constantly taking 1/4 of the window
(thumbnails already provides this to some extent, but more can be done, see
the links below)
- It could allow users to visually group files by type, date, etc (see the
links below).

Examples:
-Spotlight is not a FM but has some good ideas : type-specific
view<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Spotlight_Grouping.png>[1]
(images presented by icons, others in a list) in-window
preview<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/7/7b/Spotlight_Window_Anemone.png>
[2]
-FileBrowse <http://www.filebrowse.com/>[3] is a file browser for mac, and
it has a lot of ideas including nice folder "thumbnails", smart grouping,
group folding, in-window previews, ... (the home page has a lot of
screenshots). The UI may seem strange but in use it is convincing. I've only
used it for a short time because I don't own a mac, but file browsing does
feel easier with this soft.

*Why Clutter?*
Well, it's not because of the hype around it. With a canvas library it would
be possible to make custom layouts in a very flexible way. And the ability
to make animations is a big plus. E.g. in the case of the in-window preview,
animating the appearance/disappearance of the preview is not just useless
bling. If it is done well, it can provides visual clues that help the user
understand what is happening.

*What am I proposing?*
I think the first step toward these ideas would be to write some code on
wich they would be easy to implement. This means having a Nautilus view
wrote with Clutter that achieves feature parity with other views. Then, if
there is time, start experimenting and adding features.
This is what I was proposing in my last mail (and that is why I did not talk
about specific UI ideas). If you think I should better start experimenting
new ideas first, then I am totally for it ;) .

I hope this helps understanding my last e-mail, and why I think this is
important for Nautilus.

[1] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Spotlight_Grouping.png
[2]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/7/7b/Spotlight_Window_Anemone.png