I was looking a bit more into this and it seems to be connected to another
problem that also happens in the desktop.
The lack of a "grid" to line up the icons.
And things like this happen: http://yfrog.com/0picontextoverlap2p
The same doesn't happen within the nautilus window and while browsing a
folder.