> The only scenario where control+delete would maybe make things safer
> anyways is the "cat walks over the keyboard while I'm in the bathroom"
> scenario.

Not quite true. People did and still do lose files by accidentally hitting
the delete key, which is why this issue has a long history of requests by
the users on the first place (and why all other file managers but nautilus
have a failsafe mechanism before sending items to the trash).

Also, I am ready to bet a beer that it shall not take longer than a couple
of days for you to get used to the new key combination. Give your brain
plasticity some credit.