Hi Stian:

Thanks for your reply.  Following your mechanism, stderr contains one line
that says I need a real tty.

Essentially because of this:

http://www.pinoytux.com/linux/sudo-error-sorry-you-must-have-a-tty-to-run-sudo

I like suid that you suggested but I am not able to chown something to root
unless I am root.

Not sure what else I can do if I just need users to temporarily gain hold of
root access from nautilus.

Mark