In case you happen to have introduced a dependency on Scala 2.11.x, try
changing it to 2.10.x (2.10.5 is currently the latest version) - that
worked for me.

It turns out[1] Cypher depends on Scala. Many thanks to the contributors
here[2], btw.

1 https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j/search?utf8=✓&q=scala
2
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23997511/using-cypher-from-scala-in-embedded-databases-fails