On Don, 25 Mär 1999, you wrote: / Am Don, 25 Mär 1999 schrieben Sie:
> I've had the same problem but managed to modify my configuration files using
> pico to force my own video modes (but 1152 X 964 which my Matrox Millenium
> II does support still doesn't work...)

Yep, there seems to be something odd about this resolution. Did you try
running xf86config for configuration. I know it's a command line app, but
I've gotten the best results so far using that one. It's easy to use.

> Anyways, whip open a terminal and go to your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
>directory (I
> think that's right, I'll double check a little later).
>Open up the file
> XFS86.conf in pico or emacs. Again, I'm sorry if the
>file name is incorrect,
> I haven't done this in a while.

It's /etc/X11/XF86Config.

>[snip]
> Does anyone know how to set the default colour depth?
>

>From my XF86Config:

Section "Screen"
[...]
Subsection "Display"
        Depth   16
        Modes   "1280x1024"
        [etc.]

tom

[one mother of a snip]

--
"The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum." (Finagle's Law)
Thomas 'Tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED] No UCE. No spam. 'nuff said.