you shouldn't change the group of the server. it's better to explicitly
change the permissions on the user, public_html directory and all the
files in it. You sure you've done this?  I use a shell script to
automate it.

#aarons shell script to add users and change permissions on their
#local directories to allow http access to public_html
/usr/sbin/useradd $1
chown $1 /home/$1
chgrp users /home/$1
chmod 755 /home/$1
chmod 755 /home/$1/public_html
cd /home/$1/public_html/
chmod 644 *
/usr/sbin/sendmail $1 </root/welcome.mai

to add a new user my billing software telnets in and says simply
/newuser newusername
badda-boom badda bing.  seems to me changing the server defaults around
is risky at best